We dove deep into our archives to find these vintage photographs that display an almost unrecognizable Bermuda. Dirt roads, horse and carriages, and an overwhelming amount of green space make up the vistas of our island from way, way, way back when.
The coach and horses are known as “Tally-Ho” and were driven by Henry King in 1913. The coach traveled several times a week between Hamilton and St. George’s, carrying guests of the Princess Hotel. Kindly reproduced by the courtesy of Mrs. Harry Powell.
Bailey’s Bay in 1854. Print by Thomas O’Brien Mills Driver, an artist who spent over 20 years in Bermuda with his first trip starting in 1814. Photo courtesy of the Bermuda Archives.
Alleyway in St. George’s taken by Frederick L. Hamilton in 1938.
A shot of the old Phoniex Drug Store when it was housed on the corner of Reid and Queen Street.
Royal Naval Dockyard, 1860 (estimated)
Three young Bermudians in 1897.
The Princess Hotel, photographed by Thomas Richardson in 1895.
A Bermudian main road in 1905.
A child on the ruins of the King’s Castle fortification on Castle Island. The King’s Castle fort was constructed in 1612 by the island’s first settlers and is the oldest stone building in Bermuda.