Week of June 20th-June 26th:
Q: Most sailors commonly refer to the Newport Bermuda race as which nickname?
A: The Newport Bermuda race, which is the world’s oldest regularly scheduled ocean yacht race adopted the nickname “thrash to the onion patch” by the sailors who raced it. Writer-sailor John Rousmaniere once wrote, “There’s poetic justice: after several long days of discomfort in a closed and pungent cabin, the boat finally arrives at the historic home of a famous pungent vegetable.”
Week of June 13th-June 19th:
Q: The first organised attempt to make a profitable industry out of Bermuda’s soil was in 1616, with the cultivation of what crop?
Week of June 6th-June 12th:
Q: What two famous visitors to Bermuda (one a famous author and the other a former U.S. president) were responsible for drafting a petition against automobiles on the island, which resulted in a ban of all motor cars in 1908?
A: Mark Twain and Woodrow Wilson frequently visited Bermuda to escape the hustle and bustle of life on the East Coast. As the world started to became more modernised around them with the introduction of vehicles to the United States, they drafted a petition against the use of motorcars in Bermuda out of fear that it would ruin the peace and quiet of their tranquil getaways. The pair gained support from 111 tourists who signed their petition, and the Assembly actually passed the Motor Car Act of 1908, banning motor cars on the island until 1946.
Week of May 30th-June 5th
Q: What name did Front Street bear before it became Front Street?
A: The original name for Front Street was Water Street.
Week of May 23rd-29th:
Q: In what year did Bermuda’s first marathon derby take place, which later evolved into the traditional May 24th fixture?
A: The first official running of what would become the May 24th marathon took place in 1909, when a group of British soldiers challenged local islanders to a race. Unfortunately, the Brits took the win, with Private Jordan, of the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry placing first and Bermuda’s own, John C. Bean finishing second. In true Bermudian spirit, the locals proposed a rematch with a 13-mile route starting from the Princess Hotel in Hamilton to Somerset the following year. The race subsequently became an annual May 24th fixture around 1928.