St. George was Bermuda’s first capital and epicenter of all political, social and economic development during our island’s infancy. When the capital was moved to Hamilton in 1815, the quaint, built-right-on-top-of-each-other architecture of the old town survived and to this day, it continues to play host to some of Bermuda’s oldest buildings and houses.

 

State House, St. George’s, built in 1620 by Governor Nathaniel Butler, was one of the first stone structures here. It is owned by the Government and rented to the Freemasons for one peppercorn a year.