There is nothing quite like the pairing of a delicious muffin and a hot cup of coffee in the morning before you start your day. Blueberry, banana and especially chocolate are just a few of my personal favorites. Unfortunately, many store-bought and packaged muffins have nutritional values similar to cupcakes, which do not exactly make for a well-balanced breakfast.
This super simple and easy muffin recipe is high in fiber and protein, both of which are a great way to begin the day. Most of us are not eating enough fiber and it does a lot more than just keep us regular. Dietary fiber can lower your risk of heart disease and diabetes, and can also help to lose weight.
Protein is also important to incorporate in your breakfast each day because your body is often low on energy after a long nights sleep. Many of us make the mistake of eating majority of our protein at dinnertime; however, it is more beneficial to fuel your body with protein in the morning so your body can use it throughout the day.
Try these easily adaptable and low-calorie muffins, which are great for those on the go, for kids, and perfect as an afternoon snack with tea!
Ingredients: (makes approx. 24 muffins):
2 cups wheat bran
2 scoops protein powder (of your choice)
2 cups egg white
1 cup milk (of your choice – I used almond)
6 tablespoons apple sauce
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Your filling of choice (banana, nuts, blueberries, chocolate, cinnamon etc.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray or grease a non-stick muffin tin with non-stick spray or coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together and set aside. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients together.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined, along with your filling of choice.
4. Divide the batter in to the 12 muffin cups easily and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).
5. Let the muffins cool and then add your favorite spread! Feel free to interchange or add chocolate chips, nuts, or any other fruit you fancy.
Follow @cleaneatkates on Instagram for more healthy eating inspiration and food pics!