It’s the beginning of 2019 and everyone is still trying to stick to their New Year’s resolutions. Fortunately, being healthy doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice tasty. A classic marinara sauce is delicious and whether you pair it with zoodles (zucchini noodles), lentil pasta or whole wheat spaghetti, it’s healthy too!
If you’re interested in making zoodles, I picked up my small hand-held zoodle tool at International Imports, but you can also find various options on Amazon. Some grocery stores on-island sell frozen zucchini noodles already prepared, and Harrington Hundreds even offers the fresh, which skips the first step altogether!
After trial and error, I have decided that the best way to serve zoodles is raw. When you try to cook them in the sauce, they get too watery and chewy. If you keep them raw and put the sauce on top once plated, they should get to a warm enough temperature without becoming a soup!
Ingredients (serves 2-4):
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
1 15oz can of tomato sauce
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a medium sized pan and add garlic, onion and mushrooms. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. If you’re wanting to add meat to this recipe, such as ground turkey or beef, add it here. Cook for another 7-10 minutes, or until browned on the outside.
3. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. Reduce heat and stir.
4. Cover your pan and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Serve on top of the pasta of your choice, and enjoy!
Follow @cleaneatkates on Instagram for more healthy eating inspiration and food pics!
View this post on Instagram
Eating after sunset means no outdoor backdrop, so the hardwood floors will have to do. This dinner took two minutes: 1. shredded leftover chicken breast and mixed with organic marinara sauce in a pan over the stove, 2. spiralized a zucchini, 3. plate and garnish with @bermyfresh basil 🍝 #cleaneatkates