This versatile side dish is more of a cross between a stir-fry and ratatouille, but it is extremely delicious and perfect for the cooler months! It pairs well with a meat protein, or can even be used as a sauce on top of a pasta or spaghetti squash. The star of the show here is really the zucchini, which is high in antioxidants and promotes healthy digestion. This summer squash is also high in fiber and low in calories, which helps you feel full without over-consuming.
Mushrooms are not short of nutrients either. For this recipe I used shiitake mushrooms, which have long been used as medicinal supplements in many cultures. Shiitakes can help boost your immune system and are a natural source of vitamin D, which helps to strengthen bones. While this recipes boasts a lot of health benefits, it’s also easy and delicious – you will definitely want to add it to your weekly rotation!
Ingredients (serves 2):
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tbsp. garlic
1/2 white onion
1 large zucchini
1 cup shiitake mushrooms
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup fresh basil
Salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a medium sized pan and add garlic and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
2. Add in zucchini (chopped in to quartered circles) and sliced mushrooms and cook until lightly browned and tender.
3. Add in a cup of your favourite or homemade tomato sauce and stir, adding salt and pepper to taste.
4. Sprinkle the basil on top and cover your pan to let simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
5. Serve as a side to a fish or chicken, or on top of some pasta. Enjoy!
Follow @cleaneatkates on Instagram for more healthy eating inspiration and food pics!