Inspired by local flavours, this vibrant curry dish is rich in taste and texture.
- 6 green-tipped bananas (Bermuda) or 4 green-tipped bananas (America)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 recipe Curry Sauce
- 1 lb cooked shrimp (6 per person)
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- For the Curry Sauce:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 5-6 tbsp flour
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- Dash of pepper
- Cook onion and curry powder in butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper, chicken broth (tinned may be used). Cook, stirring constantly, till thickened.
- Cut bananas diagonally in 1/2 inch slices. Place in shallow baking pan. Brush with butter. Cover with about half the curry sauce. Bake at 350 degrees about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat shrimp in remaining curry sauce.
- Serve with both the banana and shrimp mixtures, to six people.
From Banana Bonanza- Bermuda Cookbook by Betsy Ross, original recipe Mrs. Hunter.