Recipe courtesy of Oh She Glows by Angela Liddon
On the hunt for the perfect cooling sweet treat, we came upon this recipe for a chilled chocolate espresso torte. This tasty dessert will cool you down, wake you up, and is a big crowd pleaser. This make-ahead recipe is dairy free, gluten free and vegan, so no matter what restrictions your guests have, everyone can enjoy this terrific torte.
For the Crust:
¾ cup of hazelnuts
¼ cup of coconut oil
3 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ teaspoon of salt
½ gluten free oat flour (this is easy to make by simply blending your oats at a high speed)
1 cup of gluten free oats
1 ½ cups cashews, soaked in water overnight or for 4 hours
2/3 cup agave nectar or ¾ cup of maple syrup
½ cup coconut oil
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon of sea salt
½ teaspoon espresso powder
1. Make Crust: Preheat oven 350 F Lightly grease a 9 inch pie dish
2. In food processor, process hazelnuts into crumb, sand-like texture. Add oil, maple syrup, salt and oat flour and process again until the dough comes together. Add oats and pulse until chopped but still textured.
3. With fingers, crumble dough over base of pie dish and press evenly and hard into dish. Poke a fork holes in the bottom so steam can escape
4. Bake uncovered for 10-15 min and set aside to cool
5. Make filling: Drain and rinse cashews. In a blender combine all filling ingredients until smooth. Add a bit of almond milk if necessary.
6. Pour filling into the crust and smooth out the top. Feel free to garnish with coconut flakes or whatever your heart desires!
7. Freeze uncovered for a couple of hours and then cover and freeze overnight.