Forget the traditional hot cross buns and bake a loaf of the sweet and savoury bread instead.
200 ml milk
55g unsalted butter
2 x 7 g sachets of dried yeast
455 g strong bread flour , plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 whole nutmeg , for grating (sub ground nutmeg)
55 g caster sugar
2 balls of stem ginger
1 large egg
2 tablespoons plain flour
55 g raisins
30 g dried cranberries
2 tablespoons mixed peel
1. Warm milk and 50ml water over a low heat for a few minutes – you should be able to dip your finger in without scalding it. Transfer the warmed milk mixture to a bowl and stir in the yeast.
2. Melt the unsalted butter in a pan and set aside.
4. Sift the flour into a large bowl, then add 1 teaspoon of sea salt, the spices, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg and the sugar. Finely chop or grate the stem ginger and add to the mixture.
5. Make a well in the centre and pour in the melted butter, followed by the yeast mixture. Beat the egg and add it to the bowl.
6. Mix well until you have a dough, then transfer to a flour dusted surface and knead for around 10 minutes, or until soft and springy.
7. Return the dough to a flour-dusted bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to prove in a warm place for at least an hour, or until doubled in size.
8. Transfer the dough to a work surface, make sure its floured. Push the air out of the dough by punching down on it, then sprinkle over the dried fruit and mixed peel and incorporate into the dough.
9. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas 5. Line two loaf tins with baking parchment and grease with butter.
10. Divide the dough in half, and place into two greased 450g/1lb loaf tins. Cover with the tea towel and leave in a warm place for a further 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
11. Place the plain flour and 2 tablespoons water into a small bowl and mix to a thick paste.
12. Gently pat down the risen loafs then use the batter to carefully trace a cross over the top of each loaf with a piping bag or spoon.
13. Place the loaves into the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
14. Let cool and lift out of the loaf tins. Slice, toast, butter and Enjoy!