It’s a fact: nothing beats Bermuda-grown produce. Besides the economic and societal benefits of supporting our local farmers, you’re guaranteed a much more tasty experience than you would emptying your pocket book for imported fruits and veggies. If you’re not already a fan of strawberries, your probably should be as they pack an especially healthy punch. They are an excellent source of immune and antioxidant boosting vitamin C, fight bad cholesterol and high blood pressure, reduce joint inflammation, and even prevent wrinkles!
Bermuda Strawberries are growing in abundance this time of year, so why not do more than just pop them in your mouth by incorporating them in your daily meals?
Strawberry and Bermuda Onion Salad
½ head lettuce
½ head romaine
1 pint strawberries
½ Bermuda onion
½ cup sugar toasted almonds
¼ cup skim milk
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 ½ tablespoons non-fat yoghurt
– Combine lettuce and romaine
– Top with strawberries, onion and almonds
– To make dressing, blend all other ingredients
– Pour over salad and toss
(From All about Bermuda Onions book)
No-Bake Fresh Strawberry Pie
25 chocolate wafers (such as Nabisco’s Famous Chocolate Wafers)
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 teaspoons canola oil
6 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
2 tablespoons seedless strawberry fruit spread
1 tablespoon Chambord (raspberry-flavored liqueur)
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 pound small strawberries, hulled and cut in half
1. Place chocolate wafers in a food processor, and process until finely ground. Place the chopped chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 45 seconds or until chocolate melts, stirring every 15 seconds. Add melted chocolate and oil to processor; process until well combined. Gently press the mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate or removable-bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray. Place in freezer 15 minutes or until set.
2. Place cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Carefully spread over bottom of crust. Place fruit spread in a large microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 10 seconds or until softened. Add Chambord and juice; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add berry halves; toss to combine. Arrange berry halves over pie. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of myrecipes.com