This scrumptious recipe for Shiitake Mushrooms on Toast is made using local shiitakes fresh from Scott Tucker’s farm, BermyFresh. These delicious mushrooms are available in restaurants and grocery stores island wide and they are absolutely delicious! Flexible and simple, you can combine one box of BermyFresh shiitake mushrooms with any other variety found at your local grocery store.
Here we have lightly fried them with some herbs and served on whole grain garlic toast – this recipe will remind you that simple is best. Perfect for a late weekend breakfast or an easy weeknight dinner.
2 slices of whole grain, sourdough, or rye bread – (a fresh sourdough boule is incredible here!)
Ghee, butter or olive oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 – 2 boxes of Bermy Fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced or halved (depending how hungry you are!)
3 cloves of garlic – 2 minced, 1 sliced in half
A few sprigs of fresh thyme from your garden
Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Optional but delicious: Farm fresh organic eggs or Tucker’s Farm goat cheese
1. In a large frying pan, heat oil and add shallots. Season with a pinch of sea salt and let wilt for a minute.
2. Add mushrooms and toss to coat. Make sure they aren’t too close together or on top of each other or they will steam instead of getting lightly crisp.
3. Add thyme leaves, minced garlic, sea salt and black pepper. Leave to fry for about 3 – 5 minutes – DO NOT stir! Leaving them to lightly fry in place will keep their structure and allow them to golden on the bottoms.
4. Toast your bread and rub each side with the sliced garlic.
5. Top with mushrooms and season with more black pepper.
6. If you are going to add Tucker’s Farm cheese or a farm fresh egg, now is when you will do it. Again, optional but highly recommended!
7. Serve with a side of lightly dressed greens for a well-balanced meal!