Triple Berry Salad
6 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
3 cups quartered fresh strawberries
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup fresh blueberrries
1/4 cup cream of coconut
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Ground black pepper
1. Place lettuce in a very large bowl Top with strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. If desired, cover and chill for up to 1 hour.
2. For dressing, in a small bowl whisk together cream of coconut, lemon juice, the water, mustard, and ginger. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, cover and chill until ready to serve.
3. To serve, pour dressing over salad; toss gently to coat.
Cilantro Three-Bean Salad
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salad oil
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
1 15 ounce can small white beans, rinsed and drained
1 10 ounce package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1 – 2 fresh jalapeno or serrano chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped*
Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. For dressing, in a large bowl, whisk together cider vinegar, oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir in garbanzo beans, white beans, lima beans, carrots, the 1/3 cup snipped cilantro, and the chile peppers. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Tote salad in an insulated container with ice packs.
2. Transfer bean mixture to a serving bowl. If desired, garnish with additional snipped cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Greek Vegetable Salad
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped yellow, red, or green sweet pepper
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 teaspoon snipped fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or regular balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Leaf lettuce (optional)
1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (2 ounces)
1. In a large bowl combine tomatoes, cucumber, sweet pepper, red onion, thyme, and oregano. For dressing, in a small bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Pour dressing over vegetable mixture. Toss gently to coat.
2. If desired, line a serving bowl with lettuce; spoon in vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Better Homes & Gardens