Times are hard. What with the economy and the holiday season having taken a toll on our bank accounts, who can really afford to shop? Not many, that’s for sure and the fact that even I have tightened my purse strings is a major sign that there’s no use writing a shopping blog if no one can afford to shop. Which is why during the winter months, I am going to give you a series of deals, discounts and DIY projects that can save you money so that when the economy does finally pick back up again, we’ll be in good shape to shop ’til we drop!
This week I bring you a DIY project that will reinvent any pair of heels, making them fun, stylish and insanely glittery!
Here’s what you will need:
1. An pair of heels you want to transform – I chose a pair I haven’t worn in a year and am kind of bored with.
3. Elmer’s Tacky Glue – available at Gorham’s for around $7.00
4. Glitter in the colour of your choice – available at People’s Pharmacy for $4.00 or from Royal Gazette Stationary Store (more variety) for $13.00.
5. A course paint brush – Royal Gazette Stationary Store for less than $5.00
1. Lay newspaper or a brown paper grocery bag over the surface you’re working on as this project can get a little messy.
2. Start off by using the sandpaper to scuff up the bottoms of your heels, only on the sections you want to put glitter on.
3. Mix the glitter you plan on using (I used a combination of black, pink, purple, blue and gold) with enough glue to form a paste.
4. Using your paint brush, brush the glue/glitter mixture onto the soles of your heels in a thick layer.
5. After leaving them to try overnight, paint another layer of the same glue/glitter mixture over the first one.
6. While the second glue/glitter mixture is still wet, sprinkle a layer of loose glitter over the wet mixture.
7. After they’ve completely dry, give them a gentle shake, and they’re ready to be worn!