Tony Brannon was born in Bermuda. He attended Whitney and Saltus before attending the Prior Park College in the UK, and then Reading University. He worked as the assistant to the tour manager of Tom Jones before continuing his education at Cornell University, where he earned a degree in Hotel Administration. From 1977-1988, Tony owned and managed the iconic 40 Thieves & Disco 40. Today, he is a local entertainer and the producer of the Lennon Bermuda Peace Concerts. Tony serves as a Same Sex Marriage campaigner and is a music therapist for Action on Alzheimer’s & Dementia. In his spare time, Tony enjoys playing tennis, cycling, and running.
1. What is your favourite Bermudian tradition?
Cup Match followed by Fish Chowder!
2. Where is the best place for a fish sandwich?
Wahoos in St. George’s.
3. Where is the best place for sushi?
4. What’s the most Instagram-worthy place in Bermuda?
Hamilton Princess – so many options.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever gotten?
“Practice Practice Practice” why Dad? Because you Need it, Need it, Need it!
6. What do you like most about yourself?
I never give up.
7. What do you like least about yourself?
Rebelling against my parents when I was younger.
8. What keeps you up at night?
Nothing anymore, I sleep great – why worry?
9. What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome?
Depression and forgiving myself.
10. What’s your favourite thing to do on Sunday?
Exercise: biking, running, tennis and chillin’.
11. How long have you been in Bermuda?
67 years, I was born here.
12. What’s your favourite beach?
# 1 Horseshoe Bay, # 2 Elbow Beach.
13. What was your first job ever?
Working at The Bandstand – my Father’s record store.
14. Who was your favourite teacher as a child?
Carey Maddern – my art teacher at Saltus, and A J Palmer – my art teacher at my UK boarding school.
15. Who was/is the most influential person in your life?
John Lennon & Paul McCartney – The Beatles.
16. What’s in your wallet right now?
2 credit cards.
17. Do you ever get island fever?
YES – I get on a plane 2/3 times a year!
18. What’s your favourite thing in your office?
19. What’s your favourite thing at home?
Family photos and momentos.
20. Loquat or Bermuda banana?
21. St George’s or Somerset?
St. George’s – no contest.
22. Cricket or football?
Football – Manchester United.
23. What are you reading right now?
The Four Horsemen.
24. What podcast are you listening to right now?
LBC – Leading Britain’s Conversation.
25. What is your guilty pleasure?
I’m on Keto – so can’t do Ice Cream!
26. What is your biggest phobia?
Heights and spiders.