Noise Cans, the Bermudian performance artist and DJ who is the brainchild of front man COLLAS and who famously shields his identity with a Gombay-inspired mask, has been featured in the likes of Vogue and Billboard for his unique sounds and stand out style. Blending island vibes with electronic music, the enigmatic performer pays homage to the Gombey tradition of rebellion that has propelled him to forefront of his genre. Noise Cans will debut his new album in 2020 on Steve Aoki’s, Dim Mak label.
1. What is your favourite Bermudian tradition?
I would have to say Cup Match! It’s a time that the whole country is united in celebration.
2. Where is the best place for a fish sandwich?
3. What’s the most Instagram-worthy place in Bermuda?
St. George’s. So many little hidden gems there. I actually just did a photoshoot there with photographer Jayde Gibbons a.k.a. Queendom Heights and creative/stylist Koji a few weeks ago.
4. What is the best advice you’ve ever gotten?
It’s your life to live, live it to the fullest.
5. What do you like most about yourself?
The ability to read people. I’m pretty in tune with my energy.
6. What do you like least about yourself?
Procrastination. I was supposed to do this a week ago and I’m just doing it the day it’s supposed to be turned in.
7. What keeps you up at night?
Wanting to do more. I always feel there is something else I can do to further my career.
8. What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome?
FEAR. Once you control that, you can take on anything.
9. What’s your favourite thing to do on Sunday?
If I’m not traveling, I love to cook. Cooking is mediation for me.
10. What’s your favourite beach?
11. Who was/is the most influential person in your life?
My Mother. Her love, guidance and support have been the blueprint to who I am today.
12. What’s in your wallet right now?
Credit cards, license and a 2 dollar bill
13. What’s your favourite thing in your office?
My mask, of course
14. What’s your favourite thing at home?
My art collection. I love photography so I collect images from photographers who have shot some of music’s most iconic artists. I have images of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Lee “Scratch” Perry, The Rolling Stones, and more.
15. Loquat or Bermuda banana?
16. St George’s or Somerset?
St. George’s all the way
17. Cricket or football?
18. What are you reading right now?
Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
19. What is your guilty pleasure?
Oven baked cheese bites from Trader Joes. Thank me later.
20. What is your biggest phobia?