Sarah is a qualifying Nutritional Therapist (summer 2019), recipe contributor for The Bermudian magazine and teaches a seasonal cooking class series ‘Eating at Our Island Table’ at the Chef Shop. She is a Nutrition Associate and Lab Co-coordinator at Ocean Rock Wellness, a Functional Medicine Practice based here in Bermuda.
1. What is your favourite Bermudian tradition?
Hot cross buns on Good Friday or running May 24th – can’t decide!
2. Where is the best place for a fish sandwich?
Devil’s Isle! Local fish, fresh toppings.
3. Where is the best place for sushi?
4. What’s the most Instagram-worthy place in Bermuda?
Without trespassing to get the picture….South Shore off of Pompano. Gets me every time!
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever gotten?
“You are allowed to change your mind about anything”.
6. What do you like least about yourself?
Not that I don’t like it but I have a heightened sensitivity to others moods. It’s exhausting and I often wish I could give less hoots!
7. What keeps you up at night?
Absolutely nothing, I sleep like a saint and always have. OK, apart from research paper deadlines if I’m cutting it tight, that happens often!
8. What’s your favourite thing to do on Sunday?
I love Sunday afternoon raft ups with friends and family. Rosé, a picnic, dogs and music. That feeling of being salty and exhausted driving back to the mooring is my ultimate happy place!
9. How long have you been in Bermuda?
Born and raised!
10. What’s your favourite beach?
Horseshoe Bay at sunset.
11. What was your first job ever?
When I was 15 I worked at a beach hut and it was horrible. My mom wouldn’t let me quit until I found another summer job. I told my (at the time) doctor, Dr. Jane Crerar about my dilemma. She hired me for the summer on the spot to do patient admin.
12. Who was your favourite teacher as a child?
Jessica (Waltham) Young, Environmental Science.
13. Who was/is the most influential person in your life?
My older sister. She shows up in the world with a humour and love for life that I’ve never known before or experienced in anyone else. She has grit and love beyond measure and it is infectious. She is what the world needs more of!
14. What’s in your wallet right now?
A bunch of library cards from when I lived in London.
15. What’s your favourite thing in your office?
My team! Such a brilliant group of independent women.
16. What’s your favourite thing at home?
My grandma’s paintings all over the ways.
17. Loquat or Bermuda banana?
Loquats when fresh off the tree but bananas when they are baked into banana bread.
18. St George’s or Somerset?
19. What are you reading right now?
Dirty Genes by Dr. Ben Lynch
20. What podcast are you listening to right now?
Feel Better, Live More with Dr. Rangan Chatterjee.
21. What is your guilty pleasure?
85% dark chocolate and Sunday afternoon naps.
22. What is your biggest phobia?
Cruise ships and large unruly crowds.