Chef Antonio ‘Toto’ Belvedere is a 32 year old father of 3. He is a chef and community activist for Peace Against Gang violence. Toto owns his own catering and private chef business and won the 2019 Best of Bermuda Award Winner for Best Chef. He founded and runs the group #breakthesilencebermuda, where he goes to candlelight vigils for those who have lost loved ones due to gang violence. As an activist, he also tries to assist the community in any way possible. Toto works closely with at risk youth, and speaks at PTAs and other community events. In his spare time, Toto enjoys cooking and spending time with his kids.
1. What is your favourite Bermudian tradition?
Cup Match is definitely my favorite as it brings people together from all walks of life for 2 days.
2. Where is the best place for a fish sandwich?
I think in my book, Seaside is at the top of the list.
3. Where is the best place for sushi?
Beluga Bar for sure.
4. What’s the most Instagram-worthy place in Bermuda?
Cooper’s Island is amazing.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever gotten?
“You live and you learn” in some situations, I have lived and I have learnt.
6. What do you like most about yourself?
I like the fact that I am not afraid of challenge.
7. What do you like least about yourself?
At times, that I have a big heart it could be tough in certain situations.
8. What keeps you up at night?
Wine! Or work.
9. What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome?
Being a father in a society that sometimes doesn’t want to see a father succeed.
10. What’s your favourite thing to do on Sunday?
My favorite thing to do on a Sunday is spend time with my kids and those close to me.
11. How long have you been in Bermuda?
For almost 33 years!
12. What’s your favourite beach?
I’m not really a beach kind of person, I’m more of a boat person, but the beaches at Cooper’s Island if I had to pick.
13. What was your first job ever?
I was a grocery packer at Soares’ grocery in Spanish Point.
14. Who was your favourite teacher as a child?
All of them as they played a role in who I am today (I don’t want to hear any of their lip!)
15. Who was/is the most influential person in your life?
My late father for sure.
16. What’s in your wallet right now?
Dust and receipts.
17. Do you ever get island fever?
Always have island fever.
18. What’s your favourite thing in your office?
Well being my office is a kitchen I will say the stove.
19. What’s your favourite thing at home?
My bed, and kids.
20. Loquat or Bermuda banana?
21. St George’s or Somerset?
22. Cricket or football?
23. What are you reading right now?
24. What podcast are you listening to right now?
25. What is your guilty pleasure?
Chocolate and Chocolate Women.
26. What is your biggest phobia?
Elevators (don’t judge me).