Mia Chambray is the lead singer of Mohawk Radio. She is a reef saving Rock n Roller who co-owns the natural beauty business Cassine. Mia is a mother of one, and a bulldog enthusiast.
1. What is your favourite Bermudian tradition?
Has to be Easter time, flying kits and codfish cakes on hot cross buns. It’s such a special and unique tradition, I love it so much and I love introducing it to friends and family who come to visit.
2. Where is the best place for a fish sandwich?
Woody’s, the absolute best ever, I love sitting on the little picnic table over the inlet eating their awesome sandwich with a Barritt’s Ginger beer… simply the best.
3. Where is the best place for sushi?
I really love Harbour Front, but when I need a quick Sushi fix, Buzz to Go’s Sushi is really good!
4. What’s the most Instagram-worthy place in Bermuda?
Where isn’t the most Instagram worthy location in Bermuda? The entire island makes Instagram jealous with it’s beauty #nofilter.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever gotten?
Be yourself, everyone else is taken – Oscar Wilde.
6. What do you like most about yourself?
Hmmmm… I really like my freckles and my openness to learn about people, places and culture. I find the world and travelling completely fascinating.
7. What do you like least about yourself?
I really wish I was more organised, and I really wish I was better at math!
8. What keeps you up at night?
My husband, and thoughts on how to save the world, our ocean and the planet as a whole.
9. What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome?
Moving to a different place to find myself, find my authentic life path and making both successful.
10. What’s your favourite thing to do on Sunday?
Go for breakfast. I am obsessed with all breakfast items and I love brunch culture. Bermuda has the best breakfasts/brunch in the world.
11. How long have you been in Bermuda?
My whole life… and generations before.
12. What’s your favourite beach?
I have two: Church Bay and Gibbet’s Beach.
13. What was your first job ever?
Working my grandmother’s flower shop ( The Flower Shop on Reid Street) and then for the Calypso Group at Benetton.
14. Who was your favourite teacher as a child?
I loved my guitar teacher Bob Lansing he was the best, I also loved all my teachers at Saltus, they are awesome.
15. Who was/is the most influential person in your life?
My Mom (Jennifer Page) she is the sun and the moon to me, the best parent anyone could ever with for.
16. What’s in your wallet right now?
Some US bills, cards, a poem about personal success that a man walked up to me in a park in Manchester and gave me right at the moment when I needed it. And polaroids of my husband, son and I at a friends wedding.
17. Do you ever get island fever?
Not really, this place is so magical and I am loving the work we are doing with @cassine.shop . I do however miss the UK from time to time.
18. What’s your favourite thing in your office?
Not a thing .. but my Son he get’s to come to work with me everyday and I feel so blessed to be able to have him by my side.
19. What’s your favourite thing at home?
A hand drawn Marilyn Monroe portrait, drawn by one of my absolute best friends in the whole universe. It’s very special to me.
20. Loquat or Bermuda banana?
21. St George’s or Somerset?
Hard one… take the fifth.
22. Cricket or football?
Don’t mind either! Prefer Cricket whites though as a uniform.
23. What are you reading right now?
I just finished Coco Chanel’s autobiography, she was still lighting the world on fire right into her 80’s! So inspiring.
24. What podcast are you listening to right now?
Always listening to some sort of True Crime Murder-style podcast I love: ‘My Favorite Murder: True Crime Comedy Podcast’.
25. What is your guilty pleasure?
Ice cream sandwiches and Taylor Swift.
26. What is your biggest phobia?
Fake plastic Christmas trees, they give me the creeps!
Click to watch the first episode of our intimate summer concert series, The Wellbottom Sessions, with Mohawk Radio.