“Ryan Gibbons, head bartender at Barracuda Grill, is a master mixologist, taking a culinary approach to making cocktails. With cocktail culture firmly garnering limitless attention, being able to turn out consistently inspired and extraordinary concoctions as Gibbons does is no easy feat.” -Charles Doyle for the The Bermudian’s Best of Bermuda Awards
1. What is your favourite Bermudian tradition?
Running May 24th.
2. Where is the best place for a fish sandwich?
I’m still searching.
3. Where is the best place for sushi?
Not into it really, kinda like a fish gummy bear.
4. What’s the most Instagram-worthy place in Bermuda?
The view from the lighthouse on a clear day.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever gotten?
Know when to hold’em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, and know when to run.
6. What do you like most about yourself?
I’m giving it my best to be my best.
7. What do you like least about yourself?
I don’t communicate the most effectively with those close to me.
8. What keeps you up at night?
Phantom limb pain and the state of Bermudian representation in hospitality.
9. What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome?
After breaking my leg in a motor scooter accident, opting for surgical amputation of the lower limb in order to make a positive quality of life recovery.
10. What’s your favourite thing to do on Sunday?
Spend time with family and enjoy my day off.
11. How long have you been in Bermuda?
Born here, raised on and off island but have been here constantly since 2003.
12. What’s your favourite beach?
I love running on Horseshoe at low tide but the beaches at Cooper’s Island are exceptional.
13. What was your first job ever?
Primary school tuck shop manager.
14. Who was your favourite teacher as a child?
15. Who was/is the most influential person in your life?
16. What’s in your wallet right now?
A few bucks, random cards and licenses.
17. Do you ever get island fever?
18. What’s your favourite thing in your office?
19. What’s your favourite thing at home?
20. Loquat or Bermuda banana?
21. St George’s or Somerset?
22. Cricket or football?
23. What are you reading right now?
The Way of the Seal by Mark Divine.
24. What podcast are you listening to right now?
Bartender at Large.
25. What is your guilty pleasure?
Virgin Pina Colada.
26. What is your biggest phobia?
I do not like cockroaches