Dana Cooper has been a designer, illustrator and fashion print designer globally for nearly three decades. She graduated from Parsons School of Design in New York and has her own Bermuda-inspired resort wear line, as well as her best-selling Bermuda children’s books. She had a pop-up boutique at The Coral Beach Club last summer and was an official licensee for America’s Cup in 2017. She is an art aficionado, loves going to the beach, jogging early in the morning, sailing and swimming in the beautiful waters of Bermuda and spending time with friends and family.
- What is your favourite Bermudian tradition?
Good Friday and kite flying, which mark the beginning of spring. Family and friends gather together across the island to picnic and/or fly colourful kites. The aroma of freshly baked hot cross buns is in the air, and Easter Lilies, as well as other flowers, are in full bloom. It’s a beautiful time of year.
- Where is the best place for a fish sandwich?
- Where is the best place for sushi?
- What’s the most Instagram-worthy place in Bermuda?
South Shore, in particular Horseshoe Bay
- What is the best advice you’ve ever gotten?
- What do you like most about yourself?
That I can laugh at myself
- What do you like least about yourself?
I worry too much
- What keeps you up at night?
If I can’t sleep, then I am probably worrying about something
- What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome?
Speaking in public
- What’s your favourite thing to do on Sunday?
Not work. I like to relax, go for a walk, catch up with friends or family
- How long have you been in Bermuda?
I am Bermudian
- What’s your favourite beach?
- What was your first job ever?
Sales person at Calypso
- Who was your favourite teacher as a child?
Maude Lines, a KG2 teacher. She was kind, gentle and patient.
- Who was/is the most influential person in your life?
- What’s in your wallet right now?
- Do you ever get island fever?
Sometimes, but I have to travel for my business, so I am not always on island.
- What’s your favourite thing in your office?
My current list of sales, designs and clients!
- What’s your favourite thing at home?
A large window in my living room that looks out to beautiful Bermuda.
- Loquat or Bermuda banana?
- St George’s or Somerset?
- Cricket or football?
- What are you reading right now?
The Undoing Project, by Michael Lewis
- What podcast are you listening to right now?
Fresh Air, on NPR (National Public Radio, New York)
- What is your guilty pleasure?
Buying a box of almond chocolate ice cream bars and eating them slowly!
- What is your biggest phobia?
Flying cockroaches! When I see one, I just start screaming. It’s usually late at night, when everyone else is asleep.