Tom Wadson has been a farmer since 1976. He created Wadson’s Farm with an emphasis on producing clean, local, sustainable food and mentoring youth in this industry. He has enjoyed a very successful ocean-racing career, with his greatest joy being mentoring young sailors to win major ocean races. He has three wonderful children: Eliza, Daniel and Tess. His greatest hope is that he will be able to have a young Bermudian take over his operation and continue Bermuda’s long and important farming tradition.
- What is your favourite Bermudian tradition?
Fitted dinghy races.
- Where is the best place for a fish sandwich?
- Where is the best place for sushi?
- What’s the most Instagram-worthy place in Bermuda?
Without a doubt, @wadsonsfarm!
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
“Uncle Tommy, the main thing is not to panic.” From my niece when she was eight!
- What do you like most about yourself?
The fact that I am still alive!
- What do you like least about yourself?
The fact that I am no longer really young with a whole lot to look forward to!
- What keeps you up at night?
- What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome?
2 choices: drowning or being dumped at a Scottish boarding school at age 12. It’s too close to call.
- What’s your favourite thing to do on Sunday?
- How long have you been in Bermuda?
About 410 years in spirit!
- What’s your favourite beach?
Whale Bay west.
- What was your first job ever?
Bagging potatoes with Mr. Semos at Miles.
- Who was your favourite teacher as a child?
Miss Rideout, because she took us for a ride in her brand new car when I was five.
- Who was/is the most influential person in your life?
My dear mother, Judy Montgomery Moore, and my father, T.J., closely followed by Albert “Bert” Darrell and Bob Derector.
- What’s in your wallet right now?
- Do you ever get island fever?
Never. I love Bermuda.
- What’s your favourite thing in your office?
The tractor, power steering and air conditioning!
- What’s your favourite thing at home?
The front porch.
- Loquat or Bermuda banana?
- St George’s or Somerset?
- Cricket or football?
- What are you reading right now?
A really complicated parts manual for a really complicated vacuum planter.
- What podcast are you listening to right now?
I don’t have a podcast, but my favourite broadcast was my weekly radio chat with David Lopes. I did this for over 20 years and finally did my last show on Friday, January 4th, 2019.
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- What is your biggest phobia?